Sunday, May 29, 2005

Bar/Bri and the Texas Bar Exam

I'll admit that I originally considered not taking a bar exam prep course at all, opting instead to do self-study and prepare myself by using study guides.

Two problems with this idea: 1) The bar exam is graded on a curve of sorts, so I would be immediately at a disadvantage by not having the exact same instruction as the vast majority of people taking the bar in July. 2) I'm not the most motivated person in the world when it comes to studying for something, so I couldn't rely on myself to study completely on my own without having some semblance of structure.

So I opted for Bar/Bri, and one week into it I have to admit that this prep course may very well be worth it. It covers pretty much every little detail that could possibly be tested on the bar exam and gives some great perspectives on how to get the most points out of the essay questions.

My only gripe so far is that whoever planned the location for this course should never be allowed to plan anything beyong a pizza order from this point forward. We're located at the Arabia Shrine on North Braeswood, which has quite a bit of parking, but it is clearly insufficient for the number of students enrolled in Bar/Bri. The actual ballroom used for the class isn't much better, with people relegated to sitting anywhere they can find a spot, even in the lobby outside of the ballroom (thank God for the speaker system piping the lecture out there). Honestly, the obvious problems with this venue just had breach of contract written all over it when I first showed up to the course.

Enough bitching about the little problems with Bar/Bri. Everyone seems to have learned to cope with it, and it turns out that that trouble is worth the breadth and depth of knowledge the lecturers are able to impart.

No comments:

Post a Comment